Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sign of the times....

I must admit that one of my favorite things to do is people watch. The thing that goes along side that is I also like to ready bumper stickers on cars because it will tell you a lot about the person driving the car. (Political, religious, etc...) With that being said I saw a church sign at a local church here that said volumes to me about what is going on at that church. The sign simply said "Sinners welcome, Come on in!" Now I agree that sinners should be welcome into our places of worship because ultimately that is what we are here for. But considering that many lost people don't know they are lost, how is that an effective ministry tool.... Looking at it from my perspective if I was a "lost" person or "sinner" it wouldn't inspire me to darken the doors of that church. My point is that I have been hearing for several weeks/months about direction and vision for our house, is to meet the people were they are. For us to create an environment for the lost that will draw them into the presence of God. That environment starts in our workplaces and neighborhoods. I am just saying that "cute" little signs on church billboards don't attract people to church nor do they win them to Christ. Flesh and blood believers with a calling and passion for God do that. It became easier for me to understand this once I realized it wasn't about me anymore.


It is just my opinion of course.....

Musa Out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes. thank you.

"hey you. yeah you. the sinner. come hang out with us perfect people."

maybe it's not what they meant to say. but, you are right. the implication is there. really makes you think about stuff you say without really meaning to. i'm sure i do it a lot.

Hbomb said...

sometimes I think we as christians are really stupid...we say stupid things and don't even realize how stupid they sound.