Saturday, May 17, 2008

It takes a village....

Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton wrote a book, called " It takes a Village". I didn't bother to read it but I believe the premise of the work deals with how it takes a community to raise your children. Now I would generally disagree with that until tonight. You see I just left the GAFA dance production that my girls were a part of. They were awesome by the way. But it got me thinking. It really does take a community to teach, train and raise our kids. The primary responsibility lies with Helen and me but there are other people in my kids' lives that are very influential. For example, I couldn't have taught my girls those dance routines. I am not gifted that way, but there were some dedicated women who poured themselves into them to bring out an awesome gift in my girls. Nothing makes me prouder than to watch my kids excel at something they have worked hard on. So were does this leave me? Well, what Helen and I do is the foundation for everything else in their lives. But we also get to build parts of their lives as well and there will be others who will build into their lives things that I can't supply. Makes you think about the people who are involved in your kids lives doesn't it? I hope this makes sense.

As always...

Musa Out!

1 comment:

woothaa said...

I found your site after googling "It takes a village". I am a Phoenix, AZ reader who is also from N.C., Shallotte to be exact. I have relatives with your last name also! Anyway I am trying to find out the name of the church you visited while in Phoenix.
Woothaa