Wednesday, August 29, 2007

I love football season....

Now before you stop reading... There is a reason I titled my latest blog this way. First is because I love football, but more important than that is for 3 nights a week I get some great time to spend with my son. I am not coaching his team this year which has been a mixed blessing. On the one hand he is getting a chance to learn from someone other than his daddy, and on the other hand I have really not had a chance to see how he is progressing because I am still coaching one of the other younger teams in our organization. I get to watch him get after his opponents has a father and not a coach... Big Fun for me.... Putting all that aside Caleb and I get about 30 minutes a night after practice to just talk, cut up or maybe even hold hands on the drive home.(this one is still a little weird for me... but he is my boy and I love him) We were talking tonight about the Lord and Caleb shared with me how he couldn't understand how God wasn't restricted by time. I tried my best to explain it to him as I understood it, you know how God is outside the limits of time and space, I even referred to the scripture about a day being a thousand years to the Lord and a thousand years is like a day to Him. The point is, that we had a conversation about something that had some spiritual and practical significance. First we were talking about the things of God and second I had another opportunity to spend time with my boy and talk to him and listen to what he had to say. I had become more aware of how important these car rides home from practice were when a couple years ago Caleb brought up how much he liked riding home with me from practice because it gave us time to be together.... and it wasn't even football season when he said this. In the context of that conversation he told me that it was some of his favorite parts of football season. I would have to be a complete moron not to take advantage of that kind of quality time with him, especially if he remembers it to that detail.

No comments: