Tuesday, August 21, 2007

First day of School!

Tomorrow is the first day of school for my kids, and while I can hardly believe the summer is over for them it got me wondering and remembering just what it felt like when I was their age. The mix of excitement and dread, another year older and "more mature". Starting school was usually pretty fun for me. We had open house tonight for them and as I watched Caleb interact with his classmates it made me laugh out loud. One because he will be in the 7th grade (wow let me catch my breath) and because it is still an awkward time. He is still trying to figure things out for himself and I can still see the shy little boy come out in him from time to time. The funniest thing to me is to watch how he acts around the girls in his class. Now Caleb is 115 pounds and he is solid, but just about every girl is taller than him. To make is worst they are almost as tall as me..... Talk about Amazons.... whew! I guess what I am getting at is that even though my boy is quickly becoming a young man, I am still in awe of the fact that there is still something innocent in him. In this day and age, I think that is something to behold. Believe it or not I am looking forward to his teen years. I will have the most unique opportunity to help guide him through some potentially difficult years. I am looking forward to it... My girls may be a different story but we will worry about that a little later. Anyway he will be 12 on Sunday and I look at it as the mile marker from childhood to young adult. I can't wait to see what develops.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Right there with you, Johnny! Zack is now three inches taller than me and his voice is as low or lower than Greg's. Max is thirteen and getting taller and dealing with all kinds of adolescent angst. It's fun, it's hard, it's scary, and it's exciting all at the same time. We laugh a lot at how they perk up and pretend NOT to notice when there's a girl around their age. How they deal with girls on tv, etc. I thank God for their innocence and pray that God will protect ALL of our boys from the roaring lion who wants to destroy them.