Monday, March 19, 2007

Pursuit

Did you ever wonder why everything that is good in life must be pursued, sought after? Our founding fathers realized this truth because they placed it in some of our country's founding documents. Remember the inalienable rights of " life, liberty and the Pursuit of happiness? Whether we want to admit it or not we can make no excuses for our lot in life because we are what we pursue. If I desire a great marriage then I will go after it. If I want a great career then I will chase it. Lots of money... I will find a way to hunt it down. Under this as well, if I desire failure, poverty and the like, I will pursue those things also. It just so happens the failure is easier to catch than success. The good things in life are difficult to attain because in some way they say to us how bad do you want us and what are you willing to go through to get us. Sadly many of us fall short because we are unwillingly to follow through. I believe we as humans have an incredible ability to attain almost anything we desire. The problem is in many cases we expect it to be given to us. We don't want to put in the work to earn it. Let's face it, we have become a society that in some ways seeks to find the path of least resistance. Unfortunately pursuing that path will not lead to happiness or all the other good things in life.
I coached my son's football team and the one constant thing I would tell them after a hard practice was that this game is not easy. If it was then everybody would play it. How much sweeter is the reward for something that was worked for, earned with blood, sweat and tears and pursued with ever fiber of your being.
Let us commit to not pursue the path of least resistance, but instead chose the path that though difficult leads to excellence, greatness and fulfillment.
The bible tell us to get wisdom and once we get it we must not let it go.

What are you pursuing?????

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Very interesting J ... I think I'm struggling with my own dose of this reality. I start so many things ... I have such great intentions ... but change ... it never seems to be lasting.

I fall back into sloppy patterns so quickly and it's discouraging. But the real issue I suppose is that I am lazy. It's easier not to work. It's easier just to slunch along than it is to rise to a level above mediocrity.

IF I truly want the change ... IF I truely do ... then it doesn't come cheap. It takes work. And I need to gut it out, instead of giving up. I guess I too easily buy into the ole what will be different this time thing. I've tried so many times before and always failed ... Oh woe is me! *L*

Thanks for the inspiration Warrior!

C

Kevin Thomasson said...

Good thought...I constantly find myself slipping when I'm not pursuing God. I slip at work, I slip in my love for my wife and how I am towards my little girls.
Thanks for the good word.