Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Failure

What does it mean to fail? What are the implications... consequences? Tonight I discovered first hand what it means to fail as a parent. Yes I have made mistakes before and will again but tonight is something different entirely. I failed my son in one of the most monumental ways. I did not set for him the example that he needed to follow. I let him down. I am his father. When he sees me, he should see what it means to be a Godly man. He should see how a man is supposed to treat his wife and most important I am supposed to be his earliest example of God's love and direction. Because of my inconsistency he made a wrong impulsive choice. The curiosity of an eleven year old can be very powerful. By God's grace and mercy, my wife and I discovered what he had done before it went too far. Unfortunately in the process there was some measure of his childhood that was taken away.

We talked with him for over an hour, asking the questions that should be asked, and to his credit we received honest answers. In the end we prayed together, I asked that God and my son would forgive me for not being the Priest and head of my house like I should have. I committed to him, my wife and to the Lord that I would make it right.

As I write these thoughts I declare again that the enemy has NOT won anything here. He will not gain a foothold in the life of my son. I declare again, tomorrow is another opportunity for God to show Himself faithful to me and my family but it is just as much another chance for me to be faithful to HIM!

I have been shaken from my slumber....
"As for me and my house, we WILL SERVE THE LORD!"

No comments: