Friday, February 1, 2008

Short Story Part 2

Aaron’s response, “Can’t you just leave him alone for once? You don’t care what happens to him.”
Damon, with sarcastic surprise: “What do you mean I don’t care? I care more than you know,” thumping his chest for emphasis. “I mean, what would his life be like without me.” (Pausing for effect) “BORING!”
“Why are you so Hell bent on Chester’s destruction?” demanded Aaron.
Refusing to acknowledge the question, Damon shot back. “Why are you so determined to help him? You can’t win.”
“You know Damon; things aren’t always what they seem. Eventually, they will change.”
“Things aren’t what they seem,” mocked Damon. “Man, that is a tired line, don’t you have any new material for me rip to apart.”
“It’s true,” stated Aaron flatly.
“Oh yeah how’s this for truth, I have Big Chet wrapped around my little finger and soon you won’t be around to proclaim your ‘truths’ to him. Which reminds me, how are those chains feeling? Any heavier today? I hope you noticed the new links I added the other day. I think they do a lot for your ‘Personality’, don’t you?” in his feminine interior decorator voice.
Determined to remain stoic, Aaron tried some sarcasm of his own. “What these old things? I hadn’t noticed the new additions.”
“Liar” rebuffed Damon. “But it doesn’t matter, because after tonight I won’t have to hear your whining little voice anymore.”
“What are you babbling about now Damon?”
“Oh I forgot to tell you about my surprise gift for you, didn’t I?”
“Gift, what gift?”
“Hold on a sec, Aaron I have it here somewhere”, Pretending to look through his pockets yet knowing were it was the whole time. “Ahh, here it is” proclaimed Damon. “Now close your eyes because you are in for a big surprise”
Aaron had no intentions of closing his eyes and stated so flatly. “What is it Damon?”

“Why, I am glad you asked, because here it is.” From his pocket Damon produced a leather strap about two and half inches wide and eighteen inches long. The strap was worn and weathered which made it very flexible, but quite sturdy.
“What do you plan to do with that?” asked Aaron.
“Well little man I plan on binding those loose lips of yours of course.” You see I have grown increasingly tired of our partnership.”
“Partnership, what partnership?" Aaron looked confused
Damon narrowed his focus. “This little arrangement we have, this joint venture. It’s going to be a one man show after tonight.”
“YOU CAN’T DO THAT! You don’t have that kind of power!”
“Aaron, Aaron, shame on you… You know very well that I do and it’s only a matter of time before I shut you out all together.”
Aaron was beginning to see Damon’s plan all too clearly now. It was true and there was no denying it. He was running out of time. Aaron shuttered to think what would become of Chester if Damon succeeded in shutting him out completely.
Perplexed, Aaron could only wonder how things had unraveled so quickly. Yet in reality, this point had been coming for some time and deep in his heart Aaron knew it.
As Aaron sat down on the foot of the bed, Damon finally removed himself from the mirror and walked around the bed directly in front of Aaron. It was here that Damon began his sadistic sermon.
Using his best southern fire and brimstone preaching voice, Damon thundered off loudly! “You see what we have here, is a failure to communicate” pointing his finger directly at Aaron. “This poor boy has just run out of gas, come up against a superior adversary. Face it boy you LOST!”
Now switching into his sports reporter mode… Damon continued. “Thanks Chuck, I’m sitting here with Aaron, the Little Man. He has been humiliated and defeated time and time again. As a matter of fact he is riding, what a 10, no, 15 game losing streak! Aaron, do you have anything to say to our viewers?”
He did not look in Damon’s direction. So Damon continued with his one man play.
“ Hmmm no response.” Damon pretended to be puzzled. “Well, Aaron, can you tell the viewers out there what your plan is for breaking this more than modest losing streak? I mean, do you plan to make some changes to your staff? Perhaps firing a coach or two would help right the ship.” As he held out his imaginary microphone.
Still no response from Aaron, so Damon continued, looking into his imaginary camera. “Well ladies and gentlemen; this has to be one of the toughest interviews yours truly has ever done, but not to worry ‘because I am determined to get the story.”
Damon, now with his arm around Aaron, “Come on buddy, can you throw us a bone? I mean you are out-weighed and over matched against your opponent. Can’t you give us some insight on how you plan to WIN this time? Not that we believe it or anything. It’s just that we want to be able to follow your story line to know what’s going on.”

No comments: