Thursday, September 13, 2007

The fun part of parenting!!!

Yes I know it has been a while since my last post and for that I am deeply sorry. Life has still moved on and quite well without some of my daily rantings. So on with the show. Caleb and I had another opportunity to have some quality father/son time. For those of you that have only girls... well what can I say.

We talked alot about school and how things were playing out in his classes. The fun part of this was I only had to ask one or two questions. Caleb did the rest of the talking. It was awesome! My son had opened up to me with more than one or two word answers. We laughed and talked about which parts we should keep to ourselves and not tell his mother... We cracked jokes that were actually very funny and I got to share about some of my own life experiences that I hoped would make sense to him.

So in the end, we really only fail as parents if we give up. Do you want to be the hammer or the nail?

4 comments:

Hbomb said...

I like being the hammer, especially when it comes to his teachers! So you better swim to the shallow end quick honey because as my son so clearly stated "mommy is about to go off the deep end"!

Kim's Hotrod said...

Glad to hear that Johnny. We dads of girls still have good bonding times too though. They just don't revolve around farting and telling weird jokes. Just kidding! My girls are contributing more than their fair share of methane gas to the global warming theorists out there.

I think the definition of being a good husband is knowing when to be the hammer and when to voluntarily become the nail to the hammering wife for the sake of peace in the house. LOL.

Kevin Thomasson said...

you get to choose to be the hammer!?!?!? Why haven't I heard about this choice. My nick name around here is 10 penny.

Anonymous said...

That's great that your connecting to your son. It's so important. It's just getting t where I can have an intelligent conversation with my oldest daughter, and it's really neat.