Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Got It Covered?

I am still learning what it means to be a good father and husband... I don't think I will ever get it completely right. Some days are better than others and at other times it is a moment by moment kind of thing. The Lord spoke 2 things to me concerning my kids. First was that "a soft answer turns away wrath,But a harsh word stirs up anger." There have been way too many times that I have chosen the harsh word instead of the soft answer. Kids being the sponges they are, absorbed what was given and when the right pressure was applied those sponges let out their own wrath on each other. I will also confess that the people I work with were more likely to receive a greater amount of grace from me than my own children. It has convicted my heart tremendously this week. I have tried to make a conscious effort to give the soft answer and extend to my little ones, daddy's grace.

Second the Lord spoke to me, Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. As a family, we sat down Sunday night to have a family meeting. I read those 2 scriptures to my kids. I confessed that I had allowed my words to stir up anger in them. I also told them that because we are family that we should let our love for one another be stronger than any offense we might have against each other. Just like Jesus covered our sins with His love we should do the same for each other. We prayed together and I really believe that they "GOT IT!" It also reminded me of the friendships that I share with many of you from our college days. It was a rare thing if we didn't call somebody on the carpet for something stupid we may have been involved in. And even though we probably didn't handle it right, we always knew that we were for each other and that we only wanted the best for one another. Allowing that love to cover our many failings is what made so many of our friendships so powerful. "Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses." That in a nut shell at least to me is covenant love. A willingness to speak the truth even if it may hurt and then turn and allow that love cover whatever has tried to bring shame and guilt. Thanks!

4 comments:

Hbomb said...

You have made great strides this week in demonstrating soft words, dispite my stresslevels and blow-ups. Thanks for being a Godly example to this family.

Kim's Hotrod said...

This may be the best post I've read of yours yet. I've been dealing with the same thing now for a couple of years, using the same scripture "A gentle answer turns away wrath". It's an on-going battle, one that isn't easily overcome in my own life. But I keep trying, and I try to let my kids know when I blow it.

Our pastor told us a story on Sunday in which a man was asked what interpretation of the Bible he liked the most. The man replied "my mother's". When asked if he was implying his mother had written a version of Scriptures he said "no, but she lived an interpretation of the Bible at home that made more of an impact in my life than anything else." I'm trying to get there, I just hope I don't get there too late.

Real Life Sarah said...

I needed to hear this today. Thanks.

Kim's Hotrod said...

Oh yeah, I like your new warrior pic. Very nice.